Information Center for Education
The Information Center for Education offers comprehensive information, infrastructure and counselling services to educational researchers and educational practitioners, the general public, politicians and economists. Scientists from educational science and research are supported in their entire research process: The Information Center for Education facilitates access to scholarly literature and facts; it forges research contacts, indexes and archives primary data, analyses research trends and offers technology-based support to research.
Its work is based on the concept of “Enhanced Science“ (eScience) (see also Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Science): This approach largely rests on networking research activities. Therefore, DIPF provides educational scientists with a comprehensive digital infrastructure of sources that are relevant to research, as well as delivering instruments for collaborative processing.
This infrastructure consists of an integrated, well-adjusted association of portals. Online portals, full text and scholarly databases, information systems and Web 2.0 applications inviting users to participate are thus networked and continually developed. Printed literature and particularly electronic full texts and factual information are prepared in a way that allows users from the field of science and practice to integrate them into their individual contexts of learning and research.
Portals and Information services
- German Education Server (association of portals):
- Innovation portal, Education Worldwide, InfoWeb Further Education, Information System Media Education, Reading in Germany, School Media Library, National Educational Report, Index of Newspaper Articles on Education
- German Education Portal including the German Education Index and document server peDOCS
- Search and counselling service
- (TBA) supports educational institutions and projects in the development and implementation of technology-based assessment scenarios, for instance in the computer-based component of PISA (Reading of Electronic Text) or within the framework of the German Research Foundation’s priority programme, “Competence models for assessing individual learning outcomes and evaluating educational processes“.
- International Cooperation in Education (ice) promotes and accompanies international liaising of German educational research. ice advises and supports empirical educational institutes and educational researchers in taking up and improving international contacts and co-operations.
The Information Center for Education avails its services and know-how to transnational projects and initiatives advancing the information infrastructure of the European Research Area (ERA).