Pedagogical and Educational Research Information Network for Europe (PERINE)
The project was to ensure that producers and users of research-related online resources get acquainted with the availability, dissemination and accessibility of specialised national and international information.
On 1st December 2001, as part of the Fifth European Community Framework Programme, a three years project called PERINE was launched. This project connects currently eight European countries which operate nationally significant information services supporting educational research. Stepwise a network open for other countries to join later was developed.
British Education Index Office at the University of Leeds is the co-ordinator of the Network, the German Institute for International Education in Frankfurt/Main (DIPF) represents the German side supported by German educational research communities, above all the DGfE ("Deutsche Gesellschaft für Erziehungswissenschaften").
The aims of Perine were twofold:
- The project was to ensure that producers and users of research-related online resources get acquainted with the availability, dissemination and accessibility of specialised national and international information. In meeting this objective PERINE established a freely accessible internet resource catalogue within a highly sophisticated search environment aiming to facilitate work for educational researchers, policy makers and practitioners. This catalogue comprise coherent and compatible national and cross-national references produced by the participating institutions in their national language and in English, utilising the European Education Thesaurus.
- A sustainable contact to national research institutes and communities was promoted to optimise information technological and textual design of the portal and its interactive use by researchers. For that purpose, in co-operation with the DGfE, a survey about German educational researchers use of the World Wide Web has been raised.
The project also assisted the European Educational Research Association (EERA) in its efforts to render a contribution towards the gradual development of the so-called European Educational Research Space within the European Research Area envisaged by the European Commission.
PERINE Network currently consists of the following partners:
- British Education Index, University of Leeds, UK;
- Bundesministerium für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Kultur (Federal Ministry for Education, Research and Culture), Austria;
- Danmarks Pædagogiske Bibliotek (National Library of Education), Denmark;
- Deutsches Institut für Internationale Pädagogische Forschung (German Institute for International Educational Research), Germany;
- Istituto nazionale di documentazione per l'innovazione e la ricerca educativa (National Institute for Documentation of Educational Innovation and Research), Italy;
- Kauno technologijos universitetas (Kaunas University of Technology Library, affiliated with the Institute of Educational Studies at Kaunas University of Technology and the Lithuanian Educational Research Association), Lithuania;
- Országos Pedagógiai Könyvtir és Muzeum (Hungarian National Library of Education -National Educational Library and Museum), Hungary;
- Schweizerische Koordinationsstelle für Bildungsforschung ( ), Switzerland.
The data base PERINE produced during the project is further updated with limited ressources and can be accessed online over the Portal Education worldwide.
12/2001 - 12/2004