Modelling and Measuring Media Pedagogical Competence
The project M3K is based on the idea that media pedagogical competence of teachers is an essential condition for successful work in education, acquisition of subject-related and general competencies of students as well as their participation in a culture characterised by media.
Against this background, the project pursues the main objective of “development and validation of a differentiated competence model and competence measurement instrument for media educational competence“, including the following subordinate goals:
- Development of media educational and media didactic as well as school and organisational competence areas of a competence structure model for media pedagogical competence;
- Determination and empirical validation of level differentiations for media educational, media didactic as well as school and organizational competence areas;
- Empirical determination of correlations between media didactic and media educational, school and organisational dimensions of media pedagogical competence, as well as competence areas and predictors of educational scientific knowledge, educational scientific attitudes, formal and informal media-related opportunities to learn and experiences as well as the teachers’ own media use.
- Competence structure model: Theory-based deduction of a structure model and empirical assessment of competence requirements for teachers by expert interviews (Critical Incident Technique) with the aim of testing the model’s structure and differentiating competence facets
- Competence level model: Theory –based and empirically oriented differentiation of competence dimensions and respective facets according to levels
- Test development development of test tasks respectively .items for operationalising competence facets on the basis of the competence model; development of instruments for assessing predictor variables; assessment of instruments regarding validity criteria
- Data assessment: recruitment of random sample (teacher education and training courses at universities offering different (media pedagogical training opportunities) and conducting the empirical assessment (cross-sectional and longitudinal) applying the developed instruments
- Validation of the level model: conducting an expert rating of task difficulties of test items; correlation of expert ratings with difficulty scores of empirical study for the validation and differentiation of level modelling
- Test and model validation: validation of the competence structure model and the competence measurement instrument; testing the postulated correlations between predictive factors and competence dimensions with regression analytic and model-related analyses
The project is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF, funding no. 01PK11022A) and conducted subject to the initiative “Competence modelling in the higher education sector“ (KoKoHs).
Prof. Dr. Bardo Herzig, Paderborn University
, Paderborn University
|Department:||Educational Quality and Evaluation|