LONDI – The Development of an Online Platform for Diagnosis and Remediation of Children with Learning Disabilities
The project LONDI (former OnDiFoe) developed a web-based platform to support the identification and treatment of children with major difficulties in learning to read, spell, and/or calculate. The platform provides evidence-based information, materials, and tools for learning disabilities screening as well as for the individual diagnosis and remediation.
The project developed an online platform for the diagnosis, prevention, and remediation of developmental disorders of scholastic skills and related difficulties. The platform is widely accessible targeting especially educational practitioners like teachers, psychologists, and therapists, but also parents and counsellors as well as child welfare and social workers. The platform offers a comprehensive evidence-based guide on learning difficulties and an online source for materials and tools for the individual diagnosis, formative assessment, and treatment of learning difficulties.
Within the project new tools for diagnosis and interventions were developed and evaluated. The platform includes a comprehensive guiding system allowing professionals and semi-professional users to gain reasonable information and recommendations for the individual assessment process and the treatment of learning difficulties. The evidence-based guide was designed in close collaboration with practitioners (stakeholder) with a special focus on children with German as a second language and migration background due to their increased risk of developmental delays in reading, spelling, and calculating.
To support families in dealing with the child’s learning disorder the platform includes a psycho-educative tool for parents. In addition, to improve spelling performance of children with severe spelling problems a new computer-based intervention programme was developed and evaluated.
- What kind of a computerised online screening is appropriate to detect learning difficulties and comorbidities?
- Can formative assessment influence the effectiveness of the remediation of severe learning difficulties at school?
- How can learning disorders be diagnosed in children with German as a second language? What differences are there between German second language learners with poor school performance and second language learners with learning disorders?
- Which contents (tools, sources, and information) does a web-based platform need to enable the different user groups to support children with severe learning difficulties?
- Which treatments are effective in comorbid conditions of reading and spelling disorder and dyscalculia?
- How can the spelling of children with spelling disorder be significantly improved?
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Prof. Dr. Gerd Schulte-Körne)
Project ManagementProf. Dr. Marcus Hasselhorn
- Prof. Dr. Garvin Brod
- Dr. Anne Fischbach
- Dr. Katharina Grunwald
- Dr. Alexandra Schmitterer
- Dr. Kathleen Thomas
- Dr. Linda Visser
04/2017 – 10/2021
|Department:||Education and Human Development|
|Contact:||Dr. Kathleen Thomas, Academic Staff|